Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Extra, Extra. Dead Bodies on Page Two. SEO Strategy for Creating Killer Content.

“The best place to hide a dead body is page two of Google search results.” It’s a wacky but powerful quote that has spread across the Internet over the years including on inbound.org. A 2013 study from the online ad network Chitika showed that page one results on Google amassed 92 percent of all traffic from the average search.
Organizations that get stuck on the second page and beyond on Google already find themselves in a difficult position to market themselves. And, one of the main reasons they are on page two to begin with is poor marketing. 

So, creating killer content to benefit your SEO strategy is critical. Valuable content increases the chances that readers will want to share it. Valuable content also will be used by relevant, authoritative sites. Quality finds quality.


Social media tip

One tip that I will continue to implement into both my personal and professional social media content is building landing pages that have specific content to both enlighten and inform your audiences who have just clicked to your site from a search engine. In his book, New Rules of Marketing and PR, Scott (2015) noted several guidelines for landing pages, including creating a page that looks like your brand and assuring the landing page is communications not advertising. It sounds simple enough but many organizations cram too much content onto their pages. Another tip by Scott is to provide a quote from a happy customer. Testimonials show your customers that other customers are happy with your product.



The website unbounce.com offers 101 landing page optimization tips. There’s everything from the fundamentals to building forms to the importance of testing, testing, testing. There’s also a tip about the importance of showing a phone number on the landing page. We need to remember there are many people still not comfortable with online transactions but are willing to order over the phone.


There are plenty of humorous takes on SEO, too. For more SEO fun, click here.

There’s even a rap song about SEO. And, by the way, I found these on page two of search results!

 Social media challenge

One lesson presented as a consideration through new approaches in marketing and PR is to question whether we even need a website anymore.  In likeable social media, Kerpen (2015) noted that he believes there will definitely be companies and organizations in 2016 whose only official website will be their Facebook or Twitter page or their blog.



However, I believe a website, especially one that is mobile-friendly, is needed.  The Internet site MorWeb provided four reasons why you need a website.  They are: Impression and Brand Credibility, Refreshing visitors’ database, increasing online visibility, and controlling the brand story.


Some companies believe they can’t create a website on their own and it will cost thousands if not hundred of thousands of dollars to hire an outside agency to build one for them. Fortunately, most companies can build their own websites. There are hundreds of  “how to” videos on the web, such as this one for do-it-yourselfers:


 














Social media sites are operated by third party vendors. Companies like Facebook control and make changes to the hosting of your page content. You have little say in the matter. But, with your own website, you can choose the way you talk about your brand and your products and make an impact on the minds of your customers.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    I love that Google quote! It is so true, too, because I know that unless I am incredibly dedicated to finding something specific – normally some sort of apparel item or a vacation – I do not have the patience to make it past page one.

    It is interesting that you chose the landing page tip as one that you will definitely implement. As I was reading, I completely understood the necessity and agreed with the rationale but could not imagine convincing my team to do it. To be fair, we do not put out many offers as a licensing company because our licensees do the heavy lifting but I still was not able to find a variety of different landing pages when I did a quick search for products I know our licensees sell. I am guessing that budget constraints and bandwidth prevent those companies from doing more but it may be something we need to start looking into going forward.

    I appreciate your points regarding the website/no website debate. Forbes contributor Davia Temin (2014) shared the same views when she pointed out that brands that solely rely on Facebook will never have ultimate control. Companies will always be at the mercy of “changing rules, rights, and value propositions at the drop of a hat” and there will always be some other platform right around the corner (Temin, 2014). A website is a way for companies to maintain control of their brands and has a place among social channels, blogging and the like. If done well, all of those other channels should be driving to a company website and lead to an action or sale.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    References
    Davia, T. (9, January 2014). Don't kill off your website – use it as the hub for your social media presence. Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviatemin/2014/01/09/dont-kill-off-your-website-use-it-as-the-hub-for-your-social-media-presence/#2f1038e914e8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamie,
      You can even go one step further and say the argument for the importance of a landing page validates the need for a website. If it is so very important for SEO to have a clean, simple landing page, that alone speaks volumes for the website/no website argument.
      You're right, brands without websites will never have control. I will also continue to argue that brands without websites truly won't gain the credibility they need. Customers will go to your competitors websites, for one. Specifically for companies that don't have a store front, a website is beneficial to establishing that they are real.

      Delete
    2. Agreed! I was recently doing research for a new place to work out. I found a great boutique studio in my neighborhood through Yelp but further research only led me to the company's Facebook page - which wasn't very good. I was annoyed that I spent so much time searching for basic information on this place that I gave up and moved on. The proximity to my job and apartment, however, proved to be too enticing so I ended up (reluctantly) calling for information a couple of days later. The owner was incredibly nice and it seems like exactly what I was looking for but the studio was very close to losing my business because they did not have a website that helped me understand who they were and what they offered. When I go for my first session, I am very tempted to respectfully bring this to her attention because I am sure there are others that faced the same challenge but didn’t bother to give the studio a second chance.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, I remember the reading and discussion we had about companies needing a website separate from their Facebook presence! That is probably the second challenge I faced this course.

    You make great points about SEO strategy and page two of search results. Though I would say, I probably wind up on page two more often now than in previous years. I have found, more often than not, if I am looking for information on a particular subject or company, the first several pages are links to their official site and social media sites. If it is a business in the area, I'm face with a quarter page map image of their nearest location before all that other stuff. It is on page two where I might find specific information or an article about the company that was written or produced for an outside source. And that is only for Google. I haven't tried other search sites like Yahoo, Bing, MSN, or whatever your preference is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn,
      I agree with you that I've been going to page 2 on google searches a lot more than I used to. It's really happening a lot more in the last two months. Interesting. There has been great advice in this class about other search engines. I found that information extremely valuable and have been trying out all of those alternative search engines. They are very interesting and useful in their own ways. For one, I've been checking how our College shows up in the searches on each of those sites. We're doing very well on some and not so well on others. I have some work to do even after the course is over!

      Delete
  3. Steve,
    Another great post! Your blog is always creative, colorful, contains many links and is well written. I have enjoyed following your posts over the last several weeks.

    Here is a good article that highlights the importance of using rich content and choosing good keywords. Keywords set the tone for your sites content and are the most common words found in your title” (Underwood, 2015). The article recommends using Google’s Keyword Planner to “find ideas for keywords most relevant for your business. This is a useful tool for learning what people are searching for in your area” (Underwood, 2015).

    References:
    Underwood, J. (2015, September 25). How to Make Sure Your Business is Found on Google. Retrieved from: http://www.wix.com/blog/2015/09/how-to-make-sure-your-business-is-found-on-google-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jannelle,
      Thank you for the information on the keyword article. It is very insightful. As I replied to Jenn, I agreed with her assessment that she's searching more and more on page 2 of google searches as I'm finding myself doing the same thing. Maybe things are changing here. Who knows? The article you suggest is very helpful with understand Google's keyword planner. What a great tool to have! I also enjoyed reading the blog post: Simple SEO Tips to Skyrocket your google ranking. http://www.wix.com/blog/2014/06/simple-seo-tips-to-skyrocket-your-google-ranking/

      It all comes down to the lesson that has been shared with us in the course from the beginning: Understand who your users are and what they are looking for.

      Delete
  4. Hi Steve,

    To me, Kerpen’s discussion of whether organizations will utilize websites in the future was one of the most interesting takeaways from his book. He makes a great point - in our social-driven world, the most successful companies are communicating with their audiences via social media. I do see the value of a website, however, especially for businesses that are selling specific products to the marketplace. For instance, I worked at a dancewear shop during high school, and I can’t envision all of the information it housed living solely on Facebook. Especially when it comes to purchasing a product, I know I feel more confident when I see the business has both a website and a social media page.

    Reyhle (2014) outlines 3 key reasons why websites are vital, especially for small businesses like the dancewear store. She points out that websites are often a customer’s first impression of a business, the first thing they search for online, so it is important that your business is represented in the way you want it to be perceived online. She also attests that “no website means losing business,” as websites are primary vehicles for creating an experience to engage customers to want to do business with you.

    Reference:
    Reyhle, N. (2014, September 29). 3 reasons websites are vital for small business. Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com/sites/nicoleleinbachreyhle/2014/09/29/websites-for-small-businesses/#796ff5044318.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Nicole. I believe online shopping is here to stay. So, therefore, websites are, too. How can a company expect to attract trusting customers by selling its products on only social media? I agree with you that I, too, feel more confident when I know the business has a robust website and a large social media presence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for shared wonderful information of giving best information.its more useful and more helpful. great doing keep sharing.
    Web Design Services Nagpur

    ReplyDelete